Friday, July 29, 2005

Pro-family groups push for a la carte cable

This is something I've been pushing for for a long time, though I must say not necessarily for the same reasons. It's getting to the point that I may need to take out a second mortgage for my cable bill. The frustration on this is compounded that there are basically just a couple of channels I could have, rather than the 100 or so, and be happy.

Give me ESPN, ESPN2, FoxNews and Turner South. Have the basic channels tossed in as well, and I'm fine. My wife is addicted to the Home and Garden channel, so that would need to be included as well. Oh yeah, Nickelodeon for the little one so she can have her Dora fix. That's it. The rest of it is unwatchable crap. I've had Starz and Showtime as part of the introductory package for the past six or seven months. The only thing it's made me realize is just how many really bad movies there are out there.

By the way, the reasons given in the article have some merit. I say "some" because there are things like the V-chip to use in weeding out unwanted programming. I've got to be honest in that I'd be for it mostly for financial reasons.

I don't see this happening anyway. Cable companies have too much to lose and it's all about the profit margin. Speaking of which, I need to go sell another pint so my wife can get to watch the "Design on a Dime" marathon.