Friday, May 06, 2005

Problems with Vonage

You've seen the commercials, right? "People do stupid things, like pay too much for phone service." Well, we tried to go the Vonage route and save a little on our phone bill. We're trying to cut corners, and one of those areas we looked at was our phone bill. There was even a time when we considered dong away with our regular phone and going all cell, both my Amy and I have phones of our own. The problem with that, though, is we get bad reception at our house, so that was a no go.
Amy thought she had it figured out with this Vonage thing. For those of you who don't know, this is a phone setup through the Interet; you just have to have high-speed access, which we do.
As with everything electrical, things didn't go as smoothly as it should have. I hooked everything up right according to the idiotproof CD that came in the box, but no dial tone. I placed a call to a guy from India. Due to the fact that I was talking in Southern English dialect on a cell with bad reception and he was speaking in a heavy Indian accent, we basically had to say everything at least twice to be understood. He went through several steps with me on checking my connection, often going back to the phone to check for a dial tone, but nothing happened.
I could tell he was getting frustrated. At times he would place me on hold to talk to a "supervisor," but I could only imagine him talking to a coworker about this moronic American who probably didn't even have the computer plugged in ("Jabir, I am telleeng you, Theees maan ish shtoopid! I keep telleeng heem and telleeng heem but eet ees no good!")
After nearly an hour, he tells me I will be connected to a "Level 2 supervisor." About 30 seconds after that, while on hold, the line goes dead. I look at the phone and see no bars. Remember, bad cell and bad reception. Perfect.
I decide to try again Monday night at around 8:00. This time I get a gal (Indian, but a little easier to understand) who simply decides defeat won't be an option after I explain my first bout with the Vonage box. Oh, she had no idea.
About an hour later, we're still trying to figure out why I can't get a dial tone. We've checked everything, and I'm panicking because 24 is about to come on and I've got to see how Jack Bauer is going to keep a nuclear warhead from going off. I am told once again I'll be connected to the mysterious "Level 2 supervisor," but after about 10 minutes on hold and Jack preparing to storm a Chinese emabassy, I put priorities in order and hang up.
There you have it. Staying up to date on the happenings of a fictional show is more important to me than saving money on my phone.