Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Finally home with the new baby


Leaves with Jackson 021
Originally uploaded by sbarkley.
I'm back home with our new son, Jackson Reese Barkley. Right now, he's asleep in one of those little seats for babies that vibrate, snoozing while the rain comes down outside. Not a bad life.

Even though he's only been here a few days, this is a popular little guy already. Family and friends are making their way to see him and add to the already-mountainous pile of clothes for him. We anticipate a power struggle between our parents as to who gets to babysit him first and take him out on the town to show off to friends. I've already put down the deposit on a U-haul for the Christmas overload waiting on him and Rylee.

In all the happiness we're experiencing through this, my mind goes back to his birth parents from time to time. Amy and I got the chance to have dinner with them the night before the mother was induced. They are both great, laid-back people who had to make a tough, and brave, decision based on where they were at this point in their life. We'll be grateful to them forever for the trust they've put in us.

While in Texas, where we adopted him, I had a week alone with Jackson. Amy had to fly back early, leaving me to wait on the paperwork to clear. I was a little nervous, some people would say scared, at first. With our first I'd basically done the man thing and hang out in the background until Amy needed a break. This time it was all me.

We made it through fine. Only two instances where a urine spray went awry. I stayed with two different families while in Texas. Both were great and watched Jackson every now and then to give me a break.

Now that I'm home, I have an even greater appreciation and love for my family. It's a responsibility God's given me in being a role model for my children, working to be the best daddy possible and love their mother as Christ loved the church. It's a calling, but the greatest honor I can have.