Wednesday, March 15, 2006

An article that didn't make it

Awhile back the Index was sent some DVDs for a prospective review to be put in the paper. Rylee and I watched two of the movies made for kids and came up with the following story, written from her perspective. The review in this form will never see the light of day in print. I guess that's what blogs are for.


Recently, new DVDs sent to Index production editor Scott Barkley were viewed by himself and his three-year-old daughter, Rylee. Both watched the DVDs, produced by Wacky World Studios (wackyworld.tv), with Rylee reporting what she observed.
The first video, Don’t Miss the Boat, was told from the perspective of two grandparent roaches retelling the time they spend their honeymoon on Noah’s ark. The second video, Slingshot Slugger, related the story of David and Goliath and teaches kids how no matter your size God is bigger than any obstacle.
Numbers represent the minute mark of the video.

New Roach Approach movies teach kids about faith
By Rylee Grace Barkley

Both of the movies daddy and I watched were about cartoon roaches that do these funny things and have adventures. During the movie they also talk about God. A man named Bruce Barry made them. There's one part on the DVDs where he teaches kids they can draw bugs, flowers and faces if they can just start by writing the number 2 or things that easy. That was one of my favoritest parts.
The first movie we watched was called Don't Miss the Boat! It was about 38 minutes long. In it a little boy cockroach named Squiggz is told by his granny and paw paw about the time they were on Noah's ark.
:02 Daddy says the cockroaches look a lot like the little aliens in Space Jam.
:14 The granny and paw paw – their names are Nana and Lou – have talked about how they had just gotten married and now were on the big boat a man named Noah made. People laughed at him for making the big boat – daddy says it's called an ark. Anyway, this thing just ate up Lou and then spit him out. Daddy says the thing is called an aardvark. It's funny-looking. I ask why it spit out the bug and daddy said 'cause God didn't want it to eat him.
:15 Daddy says," Movie line alert" when Noah is worried about the animals not coming to the ark and God says, "If you build it, they will come."
:21 The funny-looking-elephant-aardvark-thingy thought a plug in the bottom of the boat was a doughnut and tried to eat it! They have to put it back in! Okay, they do.
:23 Daddy, where's the mommy and daddy?
I don't know.

Is that the big boat?

Yes.

That Noah built?

Yes.

Where are the animals?
Inside.

Where inside?

Just inside. Now watch.

:25 There's this little bug who was a bug at the start but now she's not a bug she's in this brown thing hanging from the ceiling of the ark I think she's going to come out a butterfly.
:31 I got it right! She was a butterfly. She had helped the two cockroaches. Even though all the animals got scared and tired being on the boat God took care of them.
:38 I liked this movie. Noah listened to God even when people made fun of him. Daddy said that sometimes we have to do the right thing and listen to what God tells us, even if that means some people laugh at us. There were some times on the boat when they were in trouble and it looked like the boat was going to sink, but daddy said God was in control and took care of everybody.
The second movie we saw was called Sling Shot Slugger and was more about Squiggz. Lou, his paw paw, is in this one too. Daddy said this one was going to be about David and Goliath. David was a little boy and Goliath a great big giant.

:03 Squiggz is skateboarding around. My uncle Taylor does that. Taylor is better at it than Squiggz.
:08 A big, dirty 'sterminator with a big belly is coming to get Squiggz, his friends, and even his grandpa, who is trying to fish in a crab tank. Daddy and I go fishing, but not for crab.
:09 The 'sterminator says "Hammer time" and starts to dance around pretending to crush bugs with a hammer. Daddy thinks I can't hear him but he starts to sing really softly: My music hits me so hard, makes me say "Oh my Lord," Thank you for blessing me, with a mind to rhyme and two hype feet, it feels good when you know you're down, a super dope homeboy from the Oaktown, and I'm known as such, and this is a beat, uh, you can't touch ...
:14 Now Paw Paw Lou — in the movie I think he's called grandpa, but I like paw paw — is telling Squiggz about David and Goliath. That's because Squiggz is scared of the big 'sterminator. Lou is telling how Goliath was a lot bigger than David. David's favorite sheep – he was a shepherd, and they took care of sheep – was named Shemp. Daddy wonders if Shemp was the replacement for a more talented, funnier sheep, whatever that means. I shush daddy. He talks too much sometimes.
:17 The 'sterminator's belly is really big! I think there's a baby in there. My mommy has a baby in her belly ...
:29 Daddy! That little boy stopped the big man!
I think I liked this one even better than the other one. Even though Squiggs was a lot smaller than the 'sterminator, he beat him. When David beat the giant, he bopped him on the head with a rock even though everyone thought Goliath would beat him up. God helped David and the little guy won. Hey, I'm little. God can help me do big stuff too! Both of the movies were real good. My best friend Reese comes to my house every day. I'll tell her about them and watch them with her.