Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hope and joy personified

Having a child has changed my perspective on some things. If it looks like she's in danger, I tell her no. If it's past bedtime, she needs to get back to her room. If she's not eating her supper, there's no dessert. Basically I've become a parent.

Being in this role doesn't just mean setting limitations, though. I also get to see her advancements. I hear the first time she says my name clearly. When she puts her basketball through her tiny hoop. When she tells us she has to go potty BEFORE she actually does it.

In 1 Thessalonians 2: 17-20 Paul talks about his desire to see those in the young church planted in Thessalonica. Earlier in the book he talks about imitating the right things and taking up those habits. In this passage, he comes back to that and addresses the readers as his hope and joy. Makes sense. When Rylee does something well, I'm proud and want to take at least a little credit. At the same time, the accomplishment is hers.

Paul saw these young believers as the evidence that the gospel he was spreading was taking root. I can see him seeing it as a vindication for himself that, despite a lot of trouble encountered on his mission trips, some were getting the message.

I know my daughter's accomplishments will continue to mount. They will be things I can easily do myself, of course. But I get the satisfaction out of seeing her do them herself. It's a joy to watch.